C. Andrew Childers
Andy is a founding partner of Childers, Schlueter & Smith, LLC. Andy was born in South Carolina, raised in Maryland just outside of Washington, D.C., and has lived in Georgia since 1995. He graduated from Clemson University in 1995, and went on to get his law degree from the University of Georgia in 1998. While in law school, Andy’s mock trial team won the National ATLA Student Trial Advocacy Competition, beating out more than 150 teams from law schools all over the country. He was also a selected by the faculty to be a member of both the Lumpkin Inn of Court and the Order of Barristers. Andy is admitted to practice law in the states of Georgia, Florida and Pennsylvania.
Andy was selected by his peers as a Super Lawyer in 2014 in the Class Actions/Mass Torts category. Prior to 2014, Andy was selected as a Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, and 2013, also in the category of Class Actions/Mass Torts. He is an active member of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, having served as Chairman of GTLA’s Communications Committee for two years, Chairman of GTLA’s Education Committee, and as Chairman of the Civil Justice PAC. Andy serves as a frequent guest lecturer for graduate level classes at the Rollins School of Public Health at Emory University on the topic of “Litigation as a Health Policy Tool,” and is the moderator of the Mass Torts Made Perfect seminars held in April and October every year.
While Childers, Schlueter & Smith exclusively represents injury victims of all sorts, Andy concentrates his practice on the representation of individuals harmed by pharmaceutical products and medical devices, primarily in mass tort settings. Over the course of his career, Andy has represented tens of thousands of victims from all over the U.S. who have been injured by products such as: Xarelto; Risperdal; Pradaxa; Gadolinium Based Contrast Agents; DePuy ASR hip implants; Stryker hip implants; Fen Phen (Pondimin and Redux); Dilantin; Bextra; Celebrex; Vioxx; Phenytoin; Reglan, Metoclopramide; Fosamax; Yaz and Yasmin; Renu with MoistureLoc; Ethex/K-V Morphine; Topamax; Total Body Formula; Yamaha Rhino UTV’s; Baycol; Rezulin; Trasylol; Guidant defibrillators; Icy Hot patches; Kugel Mesh; Lotronex; Zyprexa; Ortho Evra; PPA; and many others.
In addition to mass torts, Andy handles cases for individuals who have suffered from Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (SJS) and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TEN) – horrific allergic reactions that cause the person’s skin to slough off, and that can lead to blindness, permanent disability, or death. Andy has successfully handled numerous SJS and TEN cases in several states around the country.
Andy has obtained settlements for his clients in excess of $250 million, and continues to fight for the rights of individuals injured through no fault of their own.
Andy has been appointed to the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee for MDL 2016 (In Re: Yamaha Motor Corp. Rhino ATV Products Liability Litigation), as well as the Discovery Committee for MDL 1657 (In Re: Vioxx Products Liability Litigation).
Andy currently represents individuals suffering from:
- Bleeding injuries as a result of Xarelto and Pradaxa;
- Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (SJS) and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TEN) as a result of their ingestion of a variety of pharmaceutical products, including Lamictal, allopurinol, Dilantin (phenytoin), Celebrex, and Bextra;
- Gynecomastia as a result of Risperdal;
- Pulmonary embolism or DVT as a result of Yaz;
- Tardive Dyskinesia (TD) as a result of their ingestion of Reglan (metoclopramide);
- Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH) as a result of their ingestion of diet drugs (Pondimin and Redux);
- Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis (NSF) as a result of being administered gadolinium based contrast agents (GBCAs); and
- numerous individuals suffering injuries as a result of their ingestion or use of other dangerous and defective products.
Andy and his wife and two daughters live in Decatur, Georgia.
- Clemson University, B.A.
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D.
- Georgia Super Lawyer - Class Actions/Mass Torts (2014)
- Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star - Class Actions/Mass Torts (2007, 2009, 2011-2013)
- Top 100 Lawyer in Georgia, National Trial Lawyers Association (2011-2014)
- Top 40 Lawyers Under 40 in Georgia National Trial Lawyers Association (2011-2013)
- 40 Under Forty, The University of Georgia
- Chairman – Civil Justice PAC
- Chairman – Communications Committee for the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- Chairman – Education Committee for the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- Ex-Officio Member of the Executive Committee of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- Member of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- Member of the American Association for Justice (formerly ATLA)
- Member of the National Trial Lawyers Association - Top 100 Diplomat
- Member of the Mass Tort Trial Lawyers Association
- Member of the DeKalb Bar Association
- Member of the DeKalb Trial Lawyers Section of the Dekalb Bar Association
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- Frequent guest lecturer for graduate level classes at the Rollins School of Public Health at Emory University
- Moderator of the semi-annual Mass Torts Made Perfect Seminar
- Frequent Presenter at the semi-annual Mass Torts Made Perfect Seminar
- Frequent presenter on pharmaceutical and other mass tort litigation at local, state-wide and nationwide continuing legal education seminars
Contact Andy via e-mail at email@example.com.