Just In An Accident? Know Your Legal Rights
When you or a loved one is the victim of a car accident, it is crucial that you speak to a qualified and experienced attorney as soon as possible. Without legal representation, evidence important to your case may be lost, and as a result, you may jeopardize your ability to receive compensation at all. We understand that the demands and challenges that come with accidents and accompanying injuries may be requiring your attention. You have doctor visits, medical bills, absences from work, and pain or disability, and we will help you in any way we can. When the attorneys of Childers, Schlueter & Smith represent you, we understand what an overwhelming experience you might be suffering, and we will offer our guidance and expertise to obtain the best possible outcome for your situation.
When an accident happens, make sure you:
- Call 911 for emergency medical assistance and/or the police.
- Follow your doctor or medical providers instructions and keep all appointments for care.
- Collect the names, addresses, vehicle registration information, driver’s license numbers, and insurance information of all parties involved in the accident.
- Collect contact information from witnesses.
- If possible, take photographs of the vehicles involved in the accident, and the location where it took place. Look for skid marks left from tires.
- Do not admit fault to anyone regarding any aspect of the accident.
- When you report the accident to an insurance representative, do not answer questions about how you feel or if you are okay. Some accident-related injuries take time to become apparent, and any contrasting information that you give insurance representatives immediately after the accident could be used to deny a future claim.
- Do not sign anything without consulting an attorney that is representing you and your best interests.
- Take pictures of any visible injuries sustained from the accident.
- Obtain medical treatment as soon as possible after the accident.
- Get in touch with a qualified Georgia personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
Once you have chosen the law office of Childers, Schlueter & Smith to represent you, here is what to expect:
- We will interview you regarding the details of your accident to gather information on your case.
- We will collect your medical records from physicians and hospitals you have visited to treat your injuries.
- We will make sure you have the documentation necessary to support your lost wages claim.
- We will establish your entitlement to pain and suffering damages.
- We will speak to involved insurance companies, and negotiate on your behalf to recover full payouts.
- If you decide to file a lawsuit after reaching a consensus with your attorney, we will walk you through the process. The initial consultation is always free, and gives us a chance to discuss the merits of your claim, and to get any questions answered. If you choose to litigate, we will not collect any fee unless we are successful in winning you a settlement in your case.
Please note: Georgia law requires that a personal injury lawsuit be filed within two years of the accident. Simply reporting your claim to an insurance carrier is not enough, and will not protect you from the statute of limitations. If your case is not completely settled or your lawsuit has not been filed and properly served on the defendents within two years of the accident, you may be forever barred from receiving compensation for your injuries. It is best to act soon so all the evidence needed for you case can be properly preserved. Call our Georgia accident lawyers today at 404-721-0255 and set up a free consultation to review your case.