After conducting a heavy television advertising campaign in 2014, the anticoagulant drug Pradaxa is launching a new series of advertisements to compete for market share with big spenders Eliquis and Xarelto, who are saturating the airwaves with $75-$100 million worth of advertising each.
Different Medications, Different Advertising Approaches
The three big spending brands now have very different creative approaches:
- Eliquis has adopted the very common theme of a patient telling a story of why they chose Eliquis.
- Xarelto has gone celebrity route with golf legend Arnold Palmer, actor Kevin Nealon, racecar driver Brian Vickers, and basketball star Chris Bosh.
- Pradaxa has now decided to leave its past approaches of doctor testimonial and father and daughter conversation, changing to a somewhat more engaging, but simple visual of the red fish (blood cells) swimming through the circulatory vessels and illustrating how they can clump together to form a clot that can travel to the brain.
Xarelto and Eliquis spend over $200 million a year on advertising, and Pradaxa’s reentry will only add to that total. Experts say that Pradaxa will need to spend a minimum of $50 million to gain a competitive share of voice to be heard.
What Do Anticoagulants Do?
Anticoagulants like Pradaxa, Eliquis, and Xarelto belong to the stroke category of medications, which were approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to:
- Prevent strokes in people with atrial fibrillation
- Treat deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism
- Prevent deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in patients undergoing hip or knee replacement surgery
Anticoagulants work by interrupting the process involved in the formation of blood clots. Although they’re sometimes called blood thinners, these medications don’t actually make the blood thinner. Rather, anticoagulants prevent blood clots from forming by preventing red blood cells, platelets, fibrin, and white blood cells from sticking together to form a clot.
If you have suffered uncontrollable bleeding or if your loved one lost life due to bleeding after taking Pradaxa we can help. Contact the attorneys of Childers, Schlueter & Smith for a free case evaluation and consultation to learn more about your legal rights and options. Our experienced drug injury lawyers will work closely with you and fight for the maximum compensation for your injuries.